WHAT IS HEMP?
For many people one of the first thoughts that pops into their head when they hear the word “hemp” is marijuana. While that association may not be completely out of left field there is far more to hemp than most people's initial judgment. Hemp is part of the Cannabis sativa family; it is of the non-drug variety. This particular plant contains little to no tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the compound responsible for the psychoactive feeling of being “high”. The hemp plant does contain good amounts of cannabidiol (CBD) which have been found to help in many areas including, beauty and health when ingested or applied topically. According to a report from the World Health Organization, "In humans, hemp exhibits no effects indicative of any abuse or dependence potential…To date, there is no evidence of public health-related problems associated with the use of hemp."
People have been cultivating the hemp plant for thousands of years. Throughout its history hemp has been used for a variety of needs. From making linens to producing paper. Many paper currencies have been made with the help of hemp stalks. Since its cultivation people have also used hemp for nutritional and medicinal benefits. Most recently people have been taking note of its efficiency within skin care.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF HEMP
The hemp plant has been used for thousands of years as a food source, fiber, and medicine. It is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, protein and other nutrients that are beneficial for your skin. Hemp oil contains high levels of CBD, which has been shown to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce acne and blemishes as well as atopic dermatitis more commonly known as eczema. Many other research studies have found various benefits of hemp oil when ingested, some studies suggest that hemp may have the ability to aid in lowering high blood pressure as well as reducing levels of “bad” cholesterol.
HEMP SEED OIL
Hemp seed oil is a great addition to your skincare routine. It can be used as a moisturizer, cleanser and even makeup remover! Hemp seed oil has many benefits for the skin including:
- Moisturizing - Hemp seed oil moisturizes the skin without clogging pores. In the article “Hemp Oil for Skin” published on Healthline.com, it is stated that hemp seed oil can even be used on oily skin due to its ability to regulate the skin’s natural oil production
- Anti-aging - The fatty acids in hemp seed oil help reduce fine lines and wrinkles by improving elasticity in the skin. Also containing antioxidants which encourage new cell production giving the appearance of more youthful skin.
- Acne treatment - There are several studies showing how effective this type of plant-based product can be at treating blemishes caused by acne vulgaris (the most common type).The omega-3s found in hemp seeds help reduce inflammation so it's perfect if you have acne prone or sensitive skin types!
Hemp-infused products are a great way to get the benefits of hemp in your daily routine. You can use them on their own or in a combination with other products, depending on your personal preferences.
- Hemp seeds can be tossed and used as a topping in salads or untoasted and put in a smoothie, oats, or smoothie bowl.
- Hemp seed oil can be found in a number of skincare and beauty products such as our own Rose Hip Oil Beauty Eye Cream.
- Food grade Hemp seed oil can be used to make a vinaigrette or dressing .
HEMP FOR YOUR HAIR
Hemp seed oil is a rich source of essential fatty acids, which are important for healthy hair, that has shine, strength and manageability. The oil is also high in zinc, magnesium, and iron. These minerals help to nourish the scalp and improve blood circulation to the hair follicles which is a major component in healthy hair growth.
Hemp seed oil has been shown to reduce dandruff and scalp irritation when applied topically on the skin or scalp. It can also stimulate hair growth by improving circulation at the root of your hair follicles, which cause them to grow thicker and stronger over time!
Hemp-infused hair care products are made from hemp seed oil that has been infused with various other ingredients. One of our top sellers has always been our Scalp & Hair Treatment, which is formulated with a blend of botanical extracts and designed to promote healthy beautiful hair through improving scalp health.
HEMP FOR YOUR SKIN
Hemp-infused skincare products are a great way to incorporate the benefits of hemp into your daily routine. They can be used in addition to your current regimen, or you can swap out many products for hemp-infused products.
Hemp-infused skin care products are made with hemp oil, which is obtained from the cannabis plant and has been used for centuries as a natural remedy for many skin ailments including; eczema, psoriasis and acne. Hemp oil contains omega fatty acids that have shown to soften dry skin and provide anti-inflammatory benefits.
While there are several known benefits from hemp there are still more to be discovered and ongoing studies are still being done. If you are looking to get started on your natural skincare journey here are some simple tips to introducing hemp and hemp oil into your routine.
- Use a hemp based cleanser to gently remove dirt, oil and makeup from your face.
- Add a few drops of hemp oil or extract to your lotions and creams (use in unscented products to give them an earthy scent!)
- Use a hemp based moisturizer or oil before bed to wake up with softer smoother feeling skin!